Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Hymn to Intellectual Beauty




Someone brought this up to class today, and I made a note to myself to look it up (special thanks to bartelby.com- a warehouse of essays and poetry for the romantics!) Here is yet another testimony to the anagogic mindset and the unseen powers that move us... the "IT" Heather was eluding to in her blog:



"It visits with inconstant glance

Each human heart and countenance"


We said in class today that anagogy is "almost a rememberance" A rememberance of what? This is an idea I hope to explore a little more in the coming discussions in class, but regardless it is echoed in this hymn by Shelley..


"I call the phantoms of a thousand hours

Each from his voiceless grave"


And lo and behold! A reference even to the "woo-woo" moment that accompanies these anagogic revalations....


"Of life, at that sweet time when winds are wooing

All vital things ..."


Haha I think i'm just kidding about that one. That's wooing singular, I think it is distinct from "woo-wooing"


As for my favorite line in this gorgeous hymn:


"O awful LOVELINESS,

Wouldst give whate’er these words cannot express."

No comments: